This guest post by Scream is the fifth in a series by Brawlstar skater Just Wingett, continuing each month of 2016 here in the A2D2 blog.
Many of us set lofty New Year's resolutions that are forgotten by March. This year, I'm hoping to change that by taking on a different health challenge every month in a series I'm calling "12 Months of Wellness." The health challenges can be cumulative, so that you continue doing the challenge from month one into month two, and months one and two into month three, or you can just focus on each different challenge as it comes along. Either way, I welcome you to join me for a healthier year! In this fifth part of the series, Brawlstar skater Strawberries N’ Scream will be doing a guest post about the benefits of reducing meat consumption.
People go meatless for a variety of reasons, whether it’s because they want to reduce their carbon footprint or lower their risk for preventable diseases like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity. It can also help cut down on the weekly grocery budget because beans cost significantly less than meat. Going meatless once a week is a great way to start trying new things. You may have heard of Meatless Mondays, but I instead would like to challenge you to make your next Taco Tuesday meat-free with my favorite taco recipe.
- 1 Medium white onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of minced garlic
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped (optional, if you like lots of spice)
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Cup brown lentils
- ¼ Cup salsa
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 3 Cups of water
- Package of raw corn tortillas
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 Avocado, cubed
- Taco sauce
- Heat oil in medium sized frying pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. You can also add the jalapeno at this point if you’re using one.
- Stir in lentils, salsa, taco seasoning, and water. Bring to a simmer and let cook 15-20 minutes until lentils are tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
- While Lentils cook chopped up the tomatoes, lettuce and avocado.
- Heat a smaller frying pan and cook corn tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble your tacos as you wish.
Thanks for joining us for May’s month of wellness! Will your next taco Tuesday be meat-free?
Scream is a blocker on the Ann Arbor Brawlstars, loves lifting heavy things, and is passionate about eating veggies.